Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Monk who sold his Ferrari

I asked my friends about good reading books, and was suggested- The monk who sold his Ferrari. When i checked on Orkut, it did sound a very popular book. Within a day, it was on my table. I waited with great excitement to reach home and read it while on my bed.
Finally, i got to read it. It was a familiar situation when a man (lawyer) who has over worked and now is disillusioned with life and work. I have myself heard so many lectures on this, that i was sure that i am going to enjoy journey with this lawyer. He moves on to the mystic country of India to seek MOksh- or knowledge about life. After he comes back, he is looking younger, much energetic and contended. He visits his friend to share his experiences. When he enters his friends house, none of us can feel that the lawyer would talk of all his journey in just one night. Anyways, he quotes examples and instances to preach- one after another, continuously- too heavy a dose, only stopping in between to make his readers revise what he said in the previous few pages.
He goes on and on preaching. During this process of preaching, MR Robin Sharma uses those age old- very many times heard examples. None of the examples or preachings quoted by him made me heave a sigh, or smile, or think deep, or raise my brows- i only quickly turned pages to look for something better.
Robin Sharma's expression was like that of a teacher who goes to teach in a class unprepared, and keeps repeating that same boring chapter on and on and on.
Thank God, it was a book, and not a face to face preaching, otherwise, i dont know what i would have done of that preacher.
I asked all those people who talk great about this book as to what they liked most- as to how they grade him as a preacher- as a story writer- his style of writing etc etc. I really could not get any satisfactory answer.I really dint wish to do injustice to this great author. reading the book again was not possible, i just thought something must be wrong with me for not ahving enjoyed this- very popular book....But... i conclude like.............
Better luch next time, Mr Sharma- I suggest you attend some Refresher courses to improve your style of writing and also learn better preaching styles.

No comments: